Thousands of dog owners are suffering serious hand injuries because they're holding their pet's lead wrong. Doctors from the British Society for Surgery of the Hand are warning people about the dangers after a huge number of nasty fractures, dislocations and even cases of 'degloving' - when when the skin is completely ripped off. Dog owners should refrain from wrapping the lead around their wrist, hand or fingers as sudden movement could cause a lot of damage. They should also avoid hooking their fingers under the collar. Last year there were 30 serious hand injuries from dog leads in Cornwall alone, including 65-year-old Jillian Tisdale.